Masonic Temple – Downtown Roseburg
Historic Booth Bank
May 9, 2017
Roseburg Armory
Roseburg Armory
May 9, 2017

Masonic Temple

Photo credit: Alyssa McConnel

A. Straw was the architect who designed the 40′ x 100′ four-story brick building occupying the entire southernmost lot on Block 39. The structure exhibits elements of the Italalianate style with its flat roof, architrave cornice and paired console “S”brackets. Wide pilasters beginning above a belt course accent the top three floors and differentiate the street level commercial portion of the building from the offices and lodge rooms on the upper three floors. Two commercial entrances are on Jackson Street and one on Main Street. On Cass Street a recessed entrance embellished with a pediment offers access to the three upper floors. Fenestration is balanced and regular with display windows on at the street level and sets of paired double-hung one/one windows on th three upper levels. The top floor windows have a round-arched transom element. In 1909 the newly-constructed building was furnished in solid oak furniture “in the golden oak style”, manufactured by J.T. Flook Co. of Roseburg. The Masonic Temple is in good condition and retains its integrity. The lodge was established on December 22, 1855, under the sponsorship of Salem Lodge #4 AF AM and was chartered approximately two years later. The lodge first met in a building on the southwest corner of Douglas and Kane Streets. From that time until 1909, when the present temple was built, the lodge met at various buildings, including the Roseburg Academy. In 1952 the lodge purchased the 2-story storefront that abuts the temple on the north. Membership of this historic lodge has included many notable Roseburg citizens.