Constructed in 1882, the one and one-half story wood frame Howell-Kohlhagen House combines the Gothic and Italianate styles in a typical series of additions to a small house. The house has a cross gable roof with a major projecting wing on the front (west) elevation with spindlework in the gable end and paired double-hung one/one windows. Beneath these windows is a projecting bay with arched windows and a flat roof. Other windows are also double-hung one/one. A large porch with columns resting on a low balustrade to the south encircles the southeast corner of the house. Above this porch are two highly decorated dormer windows. A smaller porch with wooden balustrade is on the north side of the bay and there is a screened porch with sleeping porch on the north and west sides of the house. Cladding is tongue and groove siding with vertical board and small entablatures on the corners. There are two brick chimneys, stuccoed and with flared tops. The house is in good condition.
George Kohlhagen (1868-1944) was born in Rochester, New York. He learned the butcher’s trade from his father, for whom he was named. Moving to Roseburg in 1892, he established a butcher shop on Cass St., but in 1906 moved the business to Jackson Street. After venturing into the breeding and wholesaling of cattle and sheep, he soon became the leader of the trade in southwestern Oregon. He eventually owned three large ranches of over 1,000 acres each, a wholesale business, and two retail meat shops. Kohlhagen served as a director of the Douglas National Bank and as president of the Douglas Building and Loan Association. Several of the surviving commercial buildings in Roseburg’s central business district were built and/or owned by Kohlhagen. The Howell-Kohlhagen House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.