Kohlhagen Apartments – Downtown Roseburg
Jasmine's Catering and Events Center
Methodist Episcopal South Church
May 14, 2017
historic roseburg
Perkins Building
May 14, 2017

Kohlhagen Apartments

historic roseburg oregon

Photo credit: Alyssa McConnel

 

Constructed in 1922, this three-story apartment house marks the south end of Roseburg’s central business district. The building is 100′ x 125′ and occupies the entire north end of Block 59 between Jackson and Main Streets. The building is stuccoed; fenestration is regular and balanced. The replacement windows are double-hung four/one and eight/one singly and in bays of three, Chicago style There are some projecting bays, also with Chicago style configuration. The main entrance is recessed at the center front of the north end of the structure and features marble entry walls. A string course runs the length of the north, east, and west elevations at the top of the building. A courtyard/light shaft runs from the rear of the building to the center and provides both light and ventilation to the interior apartments. George Kohlhagen (1868-1944) was born in Rochester, New York. He learned the butcher’s trade from his father, for whom he was named. Moving to Roseburg in 1892, he established a butcher shop on Cass St., but in 1906 moved the business to Jackson Street. After venturing into the breeding and wholesaling of cattle and sheep, he soon became the leader of the trade in southwestern Oregon. He eventually owned three large ranches of over 1,000 acres each, a wholesale business, and two retail meat shops. Kohlhagen served as a director of the Douglas National Bank and as president of the Douglas Building and Loan Association. Several of the surviving commercial buildings in Roseburg’s central business district were built and/or owned by Kohlhagen.