Perkins Building – Downtown Roseburg
historic roseburg oregon
Kohlhagen Apartments
May 14, 2017

Perkins Building

historic roseburg

Designed by Portland architect Emil Schacht in 1913, the Perkins Building is a restrained example of the American Renaissance style. The four-story 80′ x 102′ brick building is faced with cream colored brick on the prominent east and north (main) elevations and common red brick on the rear south and west elevations. Some elements of the style present are the low sloping roof with decorative element on the north facade and a cornice with dentil trim. Large marble keys decorate the corners of the structure on the upper level. A minor belt course emphasizes each floor, a major belt course encircles the building at the top of the first floor Street level windows are replacements, but the main arched entryway with marble surround and carved pediment enhance the north elevation. The original windows have been replaced with metal framed multi-light fixtures of the same size. Interior restoration is ongoing. Julian Perkins (1879-1957?), the original owner of the building, was one of Roseburg’s notable entrepreneurs. He also served the county as a State legislator in the House of Representatives. In 1938 Perkins was employed by the U.S. Forest Service to interview and record the history of Douglas County’s pioneer citizens. Perkins “lost” the subject building in the late 1930’s. He moved to Santa Barbara, California, in approximately 1943. The Perkins Building offered space for professional offices, including many doctors and a small hospital. The storefronts were occupied by the Milledge and Pickets Store (later the Chet Morgan Grocery Store), the Fullerton and Richardson Drug Store, and the Umpqua Valley Bank, John Throne, president. As professionals moved to other locations, the building was partially occupied by the U.S. Forest Service, logging company offices, and other related groups in the 1950’s and 60’s.. It is now under renovation and is again serving as professional office space. The building is occasionally referred to as the Pacific Building.