20170509_154806-1

Perkins Building

Designed by Portland architect Emil Schacht in 1913, the Perkins Building is a restrained example of the American Renaissance style. The four-story 80′ x 102′ brick building is faced with cream colored brick on the prominent east and north (main) elevations and common red brick on the rear south and west elevations. Some elements of […]

20170509_154432

Kohlhagen Apartments

  Constructed in 1922, this three-story apartment house marks the south end of Roseburg’s central business district. The building is 100′ x 125′ and occupies the entire north end of Block 59 between Jackson and Main Streets. The building is stuccoed; fenestration is regular and balanced. The replacement windows are double-hung four/one and eight/one singly […]

image1-2-1

Methodist Episcopal South Church

  The old Methodist Episcopal South Church is located at the corner of Lane and Main Streets in Roseburg, Oregon. Completed in 1922, the church is a simple expression of the 20th Century Gothic style, one of several period styles popular in the early part of the century. The stuccoed, cast concrete building, is in […]

10415698_855200404509257_4244083981109795502_n

First Christian Church of Roseburg

  In 1928, the First Christian Church at the corner of Kane Street and Douglas Avenue was built by highly regarded Roseburg builder Walter Singleton. Origin of the plans is unclear, perhaps a company in Akron, Ohio provided them. The cast concrete structure is basically a two-story cube with a flat roof and stylized battlements […]

20170507_142346-1-1630×860

William L. Dysinger House

The William L. Dysinger house is an unusual two-story wooden frame building constructed to look like a brick building. The exterior of this Mission Style house is simulated brick made of two-by-fours with regularly spaced grooves and painted white. The rectangular-shaped house is three bays wide and has very wide projecting eaves supported by four-by-four […]

image3-1920×750

Judge Willis House

744 SE Rose St. Roseburg, OR The Judge Willis House, one of Roseburg’s oldest structures, was constructed in 1874 and moved to its present site hi 1910. The two story wooden structure has a cross gable roof with an extension to the north. Elements of the Italianate style are evident hi the lowpitched roof, with […]

image3-1630×860

Thomas Farquar House

  Thomas Farquar was the first commercial farmer in Oregon and was well connected to the Oregon State University (Oregon Agricultural Institute circa 1860’s). He and his family lived in this house while farming Elk Island. The Historic Pine Street Waterfront offers beautiful views of the South Umpqua river and Elk Island.

DSC_4920-1630×860

Floed-Lane House

This beautiful home, which still remains in its original setting, was over the years the scene of many dinners, parties, weddings and other gatherings of the Lane family. The house is southern Colonial, it contains wooden pegs and square nails The ceilings are milled lumber and painted, the walls were covered with cheese cloth and […]

Neewollah_2011-062-1-1920×750

Napoleon Rice House

  Napoleon Rice (1895-1947) was a native of Douglas County. He established his business of selling new and used merchandise in 1890. His cousin, Moses Francis Rice (1871-1934) became a business partner with him, forming the Rice & Rice House Furbishes Company. Napoleon Rice served seven years on the Roseburg City Council between 1912 and […]

20170509_154258-1920×750

Bell Sisters Building

Constructed in 1909, this 20′ x 100′ two-story brick building was constructed in 1909 to serve as a millinery shop for the Bell sisters, Minnie and Mineta. The building features replacement display windows with an off-center entrance at the street level. The second floor has paired one/one double-hung lights witha decorative arched wood trip above […]