This beautiful home, which still remains in its original setting, was over the years the scene of many dinners, parties, weddings and other gatherings of the Lane family. The house is southern Colonial, it contains wooden pegs and square nails The ceilings are milled lumber and painted, the walls were covered with cheese cloth and papered. The shingles were hand hewn and the lumber rough sawed. The walk is of original brick, the Gloria Mundi apple tree in the backyard still bears fruit. This house has served as headquarters of the Douglas County Historical Society since 1959 when the great granddaughter of General Joseph Lane deeded, this last home of the General, to the society.