Learn About Historic Downtown Roseburg


Perkins Building

Designed by Portland architect Emil Schacht in 1913, the Perkins Building is a restrained example of the American Renaissance style. The four-story 80′ x 102′ brick building is faced with cream colored brick on the prominent east and north (main) elevations and common red brick on the rear south and west elevations. Some elements of […]


Kohlhagen Apartments

  Constructed in 1922, this three-story apartment house marks the south end of Roseburg’s central business district. The building is 100′ x 125′ and occupies the entire north end of Block 59 between Jackson and Main Streets. The building is stuccoed; fenestration is regular and balanced. The replacement windows are double-hung four/one and eight/one singly […]


Methodist Episcopal South Church

  The old Methodist Episcopal South Church is located at the corner of Lane and Main Streets in Roseburg, Oregon. Completed in 1922, the church is a simple expression of the 20th Century Gothic style, one of several period styles popular in the early part of the century. The stuccoed, cast concrete building, is in […]


First Christian Church of Roseburg

  In 1928, the First Christian Church at the corner of Kane Street and Douglas Avenue was built by highly regarded Roseburg builder Walter Singleton. Origin of the plans is unclear, perhaps a company in Akron, Ohio provided them. The cast concrete structure is basically a two-story cube with a flat roof and stylized battlements […]


William L. Dysinger House

The William L. Dysinger house is an unusual two-story wooden frame building constructed to look like a brick building. The exterior of this Mission Style house is simulated brick made of two-by-fours with regularly spaced grooves and painted white. The rectangular-shaped house is three bays wide and has very wide projecting eaves supported by four-by-four […]


Judge Willis House

744 SE Rose St. Roseburg, OR The Judge Willis House, one of Roseburg’s oldest structures, was constructed in 1874 and moved to its present site hi 1910. The two story wooden structure has a cross gable roof with an extension to the north. Elements of the Italianate style are evident hi the lowpitched roof, with […]


Thomas Farquar House

  Thomas Farquar was the first commercial farmer in Oregon and was well connected to the Oregon State University (Oregon Agricultural Institute circa 1860’s). He and his family lived in this house while farming Elk Island. The Historic Pine Street Waterfront offers beautiful views of the South Umpqua river and Elk Island.


Floed-Lane House

This beautiful home, which still remains in its original setting, was over the years the scene of many dinners, parties, weddings and other gatherings of the Lane family. The house is southern Colonial, it contains wooden pegs and square nails The ceilings are milled lumber and painted, the walls were covered with cheese cloth and […]


Napoleon Rice House

  Napoleon Rice (1895-1947) was a native of Douglas County. He established his business of selling new and used merchandise in 1890. His cousin, Moses Francis Rice (1871-1934) became a business partner with him, forming the Rice & Rice House Furbishes Company. Napoleon Rice served seven years on the Roseburg City Council between 1912 and […]


Bell Sisters Building

Constructed in 1909, this 20′ x 100′ two-story brick building was constructed in 1909 to serve as a millinery shop for the Bell sisters, Minnie and Mineta. The building features replacement display windows with an off-center entrance at the street level. The second floor has paired one/one double-hung lights witha decorative arched wood trip above […]


Howell- Kohlhagen House

Constructed in 1882, the one and one-half story wood frame Howell-Kohlhagen House combines the Gothic and Italianate styles in a typical series of additions to a small house. The house has a cross gable roof with a major projecting wing on the front (west) elevation with spindlework in the gable end and paired double-hung one/one […]


Treaves Dysinger House

  Located in the Mill-Pine Historic District, the Treaves Dysinger house is another example of a Mission style house constructed of wood, milled and painted to simulate brick. The two-story structure has a large porch extending along the west (front) elevation and a porte-cochere on the north elevation. The flat roof has wide projecting eaves […]

First Presbyterian Church

Built by Roseburg builder Walter Singleton, the brick rectangular one-story church was built in the Gothic style in 1909. The main mass of the church is a rectangular structure with a hipped roof. The southeast and southwest corners are rounded, giving the sanctuary a curved wall and seating arrangement. Minor cross gables and a three-story […]


The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel was constructed in 1910 by Horace Marsters. It was originally built as a three-story brick building;, in 1916 two more floors were added and the entire building was stuccoed. At that time a belt course and cornice were added Windows are replacement metal frame two/two. Street level windows are metal frame display. […]


Roseburg Elks Lodge

Constructed in 1905, The Elks Lodge occupying the full block width between Jackson and Main Streets with Cass Street the cross street, is a two-story L-shaped wooden structure with a flat roof. A squared cornice finishes the top of the building; there is a midwall belt course on the front (west) and south elevations. Two pairs […]


Roseburg Armory

Designed by Oregon architect, William C. Knighton, the Roseburg Armory was constructed in 1913-14 to serve as headquarters for the Roseburg National Guard Company. It is one of two Oregon armories designed by then State Architect William C. Knighton. The Roseburg building exhibits fine detailing in the Viennese secessionist and Arts and Crafts styles on […]


Masonic Temple

A. Straw was the architect who designed the 40′ x 100′ four-story brick building occupying the entire southernmost lot on Block 39. The structure exhibits elements of the Italalianate style with its flat roof, architrave cornice and paired console “S”brackets. Wide pilasters beginning above a belt course accent the top three floors and differentiate the […]


Historic Booth Bank

In 1902 a two-story brick building was constructed on the northeast corner of Jackson and Oak Streets. The first bank occupied only the southwest corner of the new building; the Board of Trade and later Chapman’s Red Cross Pharmacy occupied the northwest portion, and offices utilized the east half. The building had a main corner […]


St. George’s Episcopal Church

Architects Frank Clark and Robert J. Keeney designed the one-story cross-shaped brick church is a restrained version of the Tudor style. Defining elements include the steep gable and cross gable roofs with wood shingles, cast stone buttresses and Tudor-arched double entry door, and multi-light stained glass casement windows. The building faces west and is approached […]


Judge James Watson Hamilton House

Judge James Watson Hamilton House was damaged during the Roseburg blast and rebuilt. The house had the Queen Anne style built in 1895. William C. Knighton was the architect who designed the home. Knighton also designed Johnson Hall, the administration building at the University of Oregon that figured prominently in the movie “Animal House.” Knighton, […]


Medical Arts Building

The Roseburg Medical Arts Building was constructed in 1928 of cast concrete by Roseburg builder C. Albert Chamberlain, a Roseburg contractor. The building has a flat roof. The first story is a rectangular mass, the second and third stories are u-shaped, creating a large light well in the center of the building. Major pilasters divide […]


The Moses Parrott House

  The Queen Anne Style house completed for successful shoemaker Moses Parrott in 1891 is significant to Roseburg and to Douglas County as an intact example of adaptation of the octagon mode in domestic architecture; At its northwest corner is a bowed, two-story piazza surmounted by octagonal tower with bracketed conical roof, the total configuration […]


Harding House

The Harding House was constructed in 1920. This one-story bungalow with a hipped roof has wide,boxed eaves and a front-facing gabled porch with a wide barge board. The porch has a brick knee wall and large square support posts; there is a wrought iron railing by the concrete steps. Windows are double-hung multi-light/one with a […]