Roseburg Elks Lodge

Constructed in 1905, The Elks Lodge occupying the full block width between Jackson and Main Streets with Cass Street the cross street, is a two-story L-shaped wooden structure with a flat roof. A squared cornice finishes the top of the building; there is a midwall belt course on the front (west) and south elevations.

Two pairs of large round-arched windows with a drip molding flank the recessed center section which has an entryway on the first floor and three smaller round-arched windows on the second level. There are six regularly spaced arched windows on both levels of the south elevation. All these windows have been blocked from inside. Similar windows on the rear (east) elevation have been blocked from the outside. The main entrance has also received some modification.

The Elks Lodge is basically intact and could be restored to its former configuration. The Roseburg Lodge $326 B.P.O.E. was organized January 7, 1896 with 57 members. By 1905 the Lodge had 300 members. Construction on the building began in 1905 with John Hunter of Roseburg as the general contractor. Lumber was sawn at John Hunter’s mill in the Bohemia area east of Cottage Grove. The structure was completed at a cost of $14,925. Hand-painted murals in decorated many rooms. The lodge was furnished with oaken chairs and tables at a cost of $22,000. The ground floor of the Elks Lodge was used for the Oregon National Guard Armory from 1905 until 1912 when the present Armory was built at the corner of Oak and Kane Streets. In the 1930s and 40s the building was connected to the Indian Theater, an adjacent structure to the north, by an open balcony. The Indian was Roseburg’s most distinguished theater at the tune.